So, I was thinking that perhaps because my regular early Wednesday (UTC) teenager taxi duties were canceled due to Spring Break, that I might work on the Podcast and get it released a day earlier than I have the last couple of weeks. It has been really frustrating to me releasing it on Thursday given that we usually record it on Monday (sometimes Sunday). But after we record it Monday, I've already spent a decent amount of time on it and feel the need to do something else. On Tuesday Brandy and I usually spend some time together while Amy is at one of her activities. And on Wednesday I have taxi duty. In between those things are work and sleep. So usually these recent weeks the first time I get a good chance to sit down and get things ready to push out is Thursday. I may just need to suck it up and do all the editing Monday immediately after recording, as Thursday is just silly in terms of timeliness.
Of course, I did not end up getting things ready tonight. Instead of normal taxi duties, Amy and I went and dropped a travelbug in a geocache near home. And then went for ice cream.
And then, when I was sitting down deciding if I had enough energy to be productive and do the podcast, I had a quick IM conversation with my sister, who informed me about an audio glitch with LAST WEEK'S SHOW. Basically, there was a section where I went "boing boing boing" and put in an after the fact note about what Ivan and I were about to talk about. But I screwed up. RIGHT before I published, I unhid a working track that I had ended up adjusting and then putting a copy of elsewhere. The end result is that during this boing boing boing section, I was playing two copies of the same thing on top of each other, offset by about 5 or 6 seconds, with the first copy starting before it was supposed to and stomping on some more of me talking. Bleh. And I even did a specific spot check where I played back significant chunks of the final output before posting the new episode, but I missed this part.
Anyway, rather than doing anything new, I fixed the old episode. Which only took a few seconds of actual fixing, but then about two hours of exporting and publishing. In any case, if you haven't yet downloaded last week's episode and do so now, you'll get the fixed version. If you have already listened to last week's show, your podcast client may still pull down the fixed episode as if it was a new episode. Of course, by this point, anybody who was going to listen, probably already pulled it down, so this is all for naught most likely, but I figured I'd make sure the fixed version was up for the historical record. Some may accuse me of historical revisionism though. Oh well.
In any case, I'm going to bed now. I'll get this week's podcast out tomorrow (Thursday). And next week I'll consider my options for changing my schedule around on this. When we usually recorded on Sunday (instead of Monday like we do now) my goal was always to release within 24 hours of recording the episode. I think I need to figure out how to get back to that.
I guess it's good to know that that wasn't all for effect...
No... no... not at all.