My Dad reading me The Hobbit sometime in the second half of the 1970′s.
Thank you Dad.
@BreakingNews: Facebook says will divulge requests for data, including those for national security – @Facebook http://bit.ly/11BUiBT 02:03
- Go Zuck! 02:03
@adamgoldmanap: Facebook Releases Data, Including All National Security Requests https://newsroom.fb.com/News/636/Facebook-Releases-Data-Including-All-National-Security-Requests … 02:09
- That was disappointing. Fed requests bundled up with all other requests for which the process is better understood. 02:11
- Without breakdown is of limited utility for really understanding what is going on. 02:11
- But you can of course obviously see that the number is not millions, which I guess is the immediate point. 02:12
- & since I broke the seal & did some nonautomated tweets today, I’ll have to do a manual summary anyway, so might as well tweet some tdy. 02:15
@F_WRLCK: @abulsme @BreakingNews @facebook I guess you could say that Facebook changed the NSA’s privacy settings without telling them. 02:16
@F_WRLCK Except the Facebook stmnt says this is the result of negotiation with govt. 02:17
@F_WRLCK At first I was having visions of Zuck going to jail for releasing info on principle. But unfortunately, doesn’t look like it. 02:18
- RT @jeffjarvis Apple v fig: FB got 9k total demands in 6mos (w/FISA); GOOG up to 1k Natl Security Letters in 12 mos (w/out FISA): http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/userdatarequests/US/ … ??:??
- Google Data too. Not combined with other things. Common between both, numbers ARE pretty low. 02:55
@jeffjarvis: Administration toying with us. This isn’t transparency. Start with number of FISA demands. What’s the harm? 03:40
- The Google stuff was something a bit different. Gotta look at this stuff closely. 03:41
- Yes -> Reading – Some Questions For and About Edward Snowden (Kevin Drum) http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/06/some-questions-and-about-edward-snowden … 03:45
- Reading – Al Gore: NSA’s secret surveillance program ‘not really the American way’ (Suzanne Goldenberg) http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/14/al-gore-nsa-surveillance-unamerican?guni=Network%20front:network-front%20full-width-1%20Breaking%20news%20ticker:Breaking%20news%20ticker%20(editable):Position1 … 03:49
- Reading – Secret Court Ruling Put Tech Companies in Data Bind (Claire Cain Miller) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/technology/secret-court-ruling-put-tech-companies-in-data-bind.html?hp&_r=1& … 03:53
@MikeIsaac: annnnnnd microsoft follows suit, releases data request #’s in aggregate, like Facebook: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2013/06/14/microsoft-s-u-s-law-enforcement-and-national-security-requests-for-last-half-of-2012.aspx … 03:55
- Reading – Poll: Majority Says Snowden Did A Good Thing, But He Should Be Prosecuted (Tom Kludt) http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/poll-majority-says-snowden-did-good-thing-but … 04:03
- Reading – NSA cyber spying on China not a surprise, but it’s not ho-hum, either (Mark Clayton) http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-Policy/2013/0614/NSA-cyber-spying-on-China-not-a-surprise-but-it-s-not-ho-hum-either?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feeds%2Fcsm+%28Christian+Science+Monitor+%7C+All+Stories%29 … 04:16
- Reading – Facebook, Microsoft release NSA stats to reassure users (Declan McCullagh) http://m.cnet.com/news/facebook-microsoft-release-nsa-stats-to-reassure-users/57589461 … 14:23
- Reading – AT&T issues Wireless Emergency Alerts update to iPhone 4S, 5 (Mariella Moon) http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/15/att-wireless-emergency-alerts-iphone-4s-5/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget … 14:25
- Reading – Edward Snowden: Classified US data shows Hong Kong hacking targets (Lana Lam) http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1260306/edward-snowden-classified-us-data-shows-hong-kong-hacking-targets … 14:30
- Good Read -> The NSA Leaks & Pentagon Papers: Whats the Difference Between Snowden & Ellsberg? (France-Ruta) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/JoshuaGreen/~3/jfMIB0jfWuo/ … 14:39
- Reading – Latest results put Rouhani ahead in Iran poll (Aljazeera) http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201361522643286979 … 14:44
- Reading – The NSA’s Prism: why we should care (Doctorow) http://m.guardiannews.com/technology/blog/2013/jun/14/nsa-prism … 14:52
- Reading – Google opts out of FISA disclosure deal calls it ‘a step back for users;’ Twitter agrees (Dieter Bohn) http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/6/15/4432368/google-opts-out-of-fisa-disclosure-deal-made-by-facebook-and … 14:56
- Reading – Iran’s Election Surprise? (The Dish) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andrewsullivan/rApM/~3/oMbyhDV-Bc4/ … 15:00
- Unfortunately, overblown initial NSA reports will ultimately hurt cause of actually re-strengthening 4th amendment protections. 15:11
- There is lots of real stuff that is of concern. But credibility evaporates quickly when items overstated, facts and details wrong, etc. 15:15
- Of course, there may be more revelations to come, but perception will be tainted by errors in earlier reports. 15:16
- Good Overview -> Secret to PRISM: Even Bigger Data Seizure (Braun/Flaherty/Gillum/Apuzzo) http://bigstory.ap.org/article/secret-prism-success-even-bigger-data-seizure … 15:24
- Reading – An Outbreak of Reasonableness in Tehran (Juan Cole) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/juancole/ymbn/~3/zUoDXQevEyI/reasonableness-conclusions-election.html … 15:33
- Important -> How did mainstream media get the NSA PRISM story so hopelessly wrong (Ed Bott) http://www.zdnet.com/how-did-mainstream-media-get-the-nsa-prism-story-so-hopelessly-wrong-7000016822/ … 15:49
- Reading – Blue Boy (Josh Marshall) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Talking-Points-Memo/~3/iGGr07WEKak/story01.htm … 16:01
@BreakingNews: Iran’s interior minister declares moderate candidate Hasan Rowhani victor in presidential vote – @AP, @Reuters 16:02
- Reading – Source: Obama Considering Releasing NSA Court Order (Carrie Johnson) http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/14/191822828/source-obama-considering-releasing-nsa-court-order?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter … 16:19
- Reading – NSA Apparently Surveils About 0.01 Percent of Foreign Facebook Accounts (Kevin Drum) http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/06/nsa-apparently-surveils-about-001-percent-facebook-accounts … 16:21
- RT @joshuafoust A program of activity is not a software program. A secret slide about software doesn’t mean the software is secret.
- Reading – Daddy’s Little Dalek (Jill Harness) http://www.neatorama.com/neatobambino/2013/06/15/Daddys-Little-Dalek/ … 16:32
@BreakingNews: Egyptian President Morsi says Egypt has decided to cut all ties with Syria – @Reuters 19:25
- Good Summary -> Reading – PRISM Isn’t Data Mining and Other Falsehoods in the N.S.A. “Scandal” (Kurt Eichenwald) http://m.vanityfair.com/online/eichenwald/2013/06/prism-isnt-data-mining-NSA-scandal … 22:13
- [Abulpost] Haircut Time Again!: Before: After: This is Alex’s fifth haircut. (And my umpteenth.) Brandy … http://www.abulsme.com/?p=12815 23:11
This is Alex’s fifth haircut. (And my umpteenth.)
Brandy says they took a lot off of him. I will take her word for it, cause it looks pretty much the same to me.
But Alex likes it, and that is all that matters.
On March 10th, I announced a new thing I was doing, the “Top Read and Tweeted Kindle Books” list. Well, I set it up using Twitter’s RSS feeds as the source, and they turned those off earlier this week. I think I could probably redo it using Twitter’s API (which is probably how it should have been done in the first place, but I was more familiar with the other way), but realistically, that would take me time that would be better used for other things, especially since I haven’t gotten any comments on this thing since I launched it, and I was probably the only one looking at it. So, goodbye Top Book thing. It was fun while it lasted!
It was actually interesting to watch over the past three months though.
Here is a chart of the performance of every book that made the Top 5 at any time during the run of my list. (The lines are extended to show 7 days before and 7 days after the days each book was actually in the Top 5.)
Click to embiggen if you want.
During the 95 days I have been running this analysis, there have been four books in the #1 slot:
Gone Girl and Gatsby swapped a bit before Gatsby took the clear lead.
Inferno is obviously crushing everybody at the moment. Almost 2% of everybody tweeting they finished a Kindle book recently were tweeting about finishing Inferno.
As of 2013-06-11 21:36:35 UTC when the last tweet was processed by my system, this was the Top 20:
If anybody else out there would miss this though, let me know of course. Anyway. Fun stuff. I would have had fun continuing to track this for awhile. But as I mentioned, probably not worth fixing.
- Ivan has a blog! -> Reading – Apple, Google and Innovation (Ivan Bou) http://imbou.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/apple-google-and-innovation/ … 02:50
- Reading – iOS 7 specs versus Android 4.2, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10 (Jessica Dolcourt) http://m.cnet.com/news/ios-7-specs-versus-android-42-windows-phone-blackberry-10/57588300 … 05:23
- RT @DanAmira Re: idea that the gov might kill Snowden — there have been a lot of NSA whistleblowers/leakers over the years, and they’re all still alive ??:??
- Reading – All Leaks Are Illegal, But Some Leaks Are More Illegal Than Others (Conor Friedersdorf) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ConorFriedersdorf/~3/9VNd8kTimYk/story01.htm … 12:55
- Reading – Edward Snowden and the selective targeting of leaks (Jack Shafer) http://blogs.reuters.com/jackshafer/2013/06/11/edward-snowden-and-the-selective-targeting-of-leaks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2Fblogs%2FJackShafer+%28Jack+Shafer%29 … 12:59
- RT @dangillmor If Snowden becomes the story (as the surveillance-staters would prefer), his self-outing will have proved to be huge tactical error. ??:??
- Reading – Apple Reportedly Trying 4.7- and 5.7-Inch Screens On iPhones Next Year (Etherington) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/vhG_KvrFi04/ … 13:09
- RT @declanm
@dangillmor Not necessarily self-outing. Cops reportedly showed up at his home Wed morning. Guardian published at ~1pm local time Wed, ??:??
- Damn it. The tool I use for the daily tweet digest for my blog was still using old twitter APIs which are now deprecated. 13:47
- I’ll have to backfill the last couple days of digest by hand later. 13:48
- No more tweets from me until I have a new tweet 2 blog archiving solution. Bye twitter! (Hopefully not 4 long but who knows? Maybe forever.) 13:49
@imbou says: @abulsme WTF? You finally get me to do this and now you are leaving me?!?!?! 16:52
@BYUfan: . @abulsme Noo! You’ve become one of my best filters for good news articles. 16:53
@imbou @BYUfan Be not afraid! I emailed the developer of the tool I use and he said it will probably be fixed this weekend. 16:54
@imbou @BYUfan If that actually happens, I will probably be tweeting regularly again next week. 16:56
@imbou @BYUfan Until it is automated again though, I will be mostly silent, since I will have to generate my daily digests manually. 16:57
- Oh yeah… Please welcome my Curmudgeon’s Corner cohost Ivan Bou to Twitter as
@imbou! He finally caved! 16:58
@BYUfan Awww… Shucks! Glad to be useful. 17:00
@imbou: @abulsme Bah humbug! 19:26 |